Saturday, March 15, 2008

A DROWN RAT

I am not sure if you noted the rain yesterday. It rained--most of the day. I never have liked the rain much but "not liking the rain" brought on new meaning. 

Yesterday when it rained I looked for a bridge to hind under. You know something? When you hide under a bridge you can make some new friends. I did. I sat in their "house" made up of boxes, and a million old blankets (no, I was not alone, relax) we sat there, talking, drinking hot chocolate. It was quite enjoyable, except being soaking wet and freezing cold. 

By the end of the long day I smelled like pot and looked like a drown rat. The small team I was with was to meet the rest of our group at a shelter to eat, touch base and be with the people there before we went back to the "office". 

I stood in the food line, a man asked me how many hot dogs I wanted. I wanted one. He looked at me with pity, he kindly told me I could have more if I wanted. No, one hot dog is good with me thanks. I walked away.

I was sitting in a chair, eating and talking. A women walked by, I wondered what church they had come from. I asked her nicely, she looked at me, her eyes dashed every which way, she gave me a very quick, very rude answer. It clicked.

"OH MY GOSH THEY THINK WE ARE HOMELESS" 

We looked it, we smelled it, we should be it. That was why people has been so strange all day.  They acted like I was a child, or a bad girl, casting sorrowful...with a hint of guilt glances my way. As pieces fell into place  I vowed to never treat any human in such a way. 

Forgive your people Lord, please, have mercy on us!

missing you, 

-jocelyn elise

I bought this cup of hot chocolate for one of my friends, Bill a dear old man, I took the lid off to show him the "pretty flower". He smiled at me, telling me I was kindest girls in the state--and this was the best hot drink he had ever had. As I smiled at him I felt my loving Jesus smiling with us. Pray for Bill.

3 comments: